Last week for the MKMMA course we were asked to pick and watch a movie from a list. While watching the movie we were to observe four habits. They are:
- A definite major purpose
- A plan of action
- A mastermind alliance
- A positive mental attitude
I chose to watch the movie Wild.
Cheryl Strayed is a woman who has had a rough upbringing, with one guiding light that tries to keep her positive, but when a tragic event happens, she loses that guiding light and her life takes a turn for the worst. She makes a lot of wrong choices, which eventually brings her to a crossroads. She has a decision to make: continue down the path of darkness or take the steps necessary to change her current condition.
These are some of the things I observed.
- Her definite major purpose: She wanted enjoy life again, to leave the destructive life that she had created for herself behind.
- Her plan of action: A journey of self-discovery and healing hiking 1,100 miles of the Pacific Crest Trail.
- A mastermind alliance: She meets up with many people on her journey, people curious about her journey, people who she had inspired. Along the trail there are numerous hiker’s record books in which she would frequently leave quotes, the people behind her would have read them and were amazed that she was hiking the trail by herself. She met up with people who gave her support and guidance, and people who offered her encouragement.
- A positive mental attitude: To be a female and hike the trail alone speaks volumes about her attitude and despite all the adversity she faced she was persistent and always moved forward.
There is one part of the movie that kind of stuck in my head and thought would be worth mentioning. During her journey she is approached by a reporter while hiking on the side of the road. The reporter is convinced that she is a hobo and despite her trying to defend herself fails to convince him otherwise. But she stayed true to herself and would not give in to his stereotype. Quite often in life people will come along and tell you who they think you should be based on ideas that they have in their mind. One thing to remember is that it doesen’t matter what other people think or say about you. You have thoughts and when you truly believe in yourself that is all that is necessary to take action to get you to where you want to go.